Limerick is often referred to as a garrison town given its history as a defensive stronghold over the last eleven centuries.
In the mid-19th century there were four barracks in Limerick city as Limerick was the headquarters of the south-western district.
The courthouse in Mulgrave Street is located on the site of a former artillery barracks, one of four in existence in Limerick in the 19th century. The barracks was completed in 1807 and was in operation throughout the 19th century. During this period, Mulgrave Street was developing as an institutional district and included the barracks, county prison, lunatic asylum, county hospital and municipal cemetery.
There are six courtrooms in total, each with natural light and views of the sky. The building also has consultation rooms, the jury assembly area, legal practitioner’s rooms, court offices and victim support services.
Limerick Courthouse Mulgrave Street is supported by Limerick Court Office - Criminal and Licensing.