Kilkenny Courthouse is in the historical centre of the town. It was originally built over, and incorporated the remains of, a sixteenth century castle and an eighteenth century Gaol.
The courthouse, formerly know as Grace’s Castle, is built on a site which was originally a town house of the wealthy Grace family. They leased the building to the Crown in 1566 for use as a gaol. It was converted to a courthouse in c.1792, remodelled in c.1828 and extended to the rear in c.1870.
The most recent refurbishment, completed in 2010, involved the refurbishment of the existing courthouse building and the construction of a new 3,000 sq m extension. This provided new and improved accommodation including two new courtrooms, judicial and office accommodation and a holding cell area for prisoners.
Kilkenny Courthouse is supported by Kilkenny Court Office.