The old original courthouse was built in approximately 1830 and was renovated and an extension added in 1992. This courthouse went under some criticism and so a new project for an entirely new courthouse was created.
It is a four storey building consisting of four courtrooms, judicial, jury, and professional, custodial, staff, public and ancillary accommodation. It also caters for a flexible office accommodation wing. Staff car parking spaces, a service area and a secure van dock are located on the lower ground floor. A landscaped forecourt leads towards the main public entrance space located on a raised ground floor. This main entrance is defined by the public atrium connecting the office wing to the support services and the court rooms behind. The office spaces enjoy large picture windows allowing views of the urban landscape and across the valley of the River Swilly.
The entrance to the building foyer and public spaces use prominent stone elements and recessed glazing to cast shadows and shade adding visual interest to the facade while integrating into the landscape design. This connection between the courthouse and the landscaped area outside makes a positive contribution to Letterkenny town and provides a landmark courthouse building suitable for all court users.
Letterkenny Courthouse is supported by Letterkenny Court Office.