Sligo Courthouse, built in 1878 on the site of a former courthouse, has been described as ‘a full-blooded Victorian Gothic building’.
Evidence of an eighteenth century gaol still survive within the confines of the courthouse, with a history which includes that of eight men who, in 1818, were sentenced for robbery with violence at Tireragh and were publicly hanged in the street outside the front of the courthouse.
The refurbishment project for Sligo courthouse started in late 1998 and reached a conclusion in the last days of 2001 after 1,000 days of joint effort by all involved in the construction. The brief was substantial. It called for the full upgrading of the building to provide state of the art facilities for court staff in their own offices and in the public office function, two new courtrooms, family law facilities, extended consultation facilities, refurbished judges' chambers, secure holding cell accommodation for prisoners with separate access, jury rooms and accommodation for the legal profession.
Sligo Courthouse is supported by Sligo Court Office.