Longford Courthouse is a five-bay three-storey over basement, double fronted courthouse built on the main street in 1793, probably on the site of an earlier building.
The attic storey was added in 1859 to 1860 and a pair of single-storey bridewell extensions were added to either side of the street entrance about 1900. The building was finished generally in plain lime render with limestone dressings to the windows, which were probably altered in 1859 to 1860 to sliding sash windows. One bridewell was also converted to a Tourist Office in 1970. The premises suffered serious outbreaks of rot in the early nineties and was closed in 1994 due to its poor condition.
A major refurbishment project was completed in 2006. The space required for modern courtrooms and the necessary ancillary accommodation could not be accommodated within the existing building. The rear section of the building was taken down with the original Georgian building constructed in 1790 retained at the front of the courthouse. The original façade was repaired.
The building now has two large courtrooms, a family law courtroom, court office accommodation, consultation rooms, victim support room, media room and holding cells for prisoners.
Longford Courthouse is supported by Longford Court Office.