The Courts Service set up a Judicial Support Unit in late 1999 to provide support services to Judges.
The Courts Service set up the Judicial Support Unit in late 1999 to provide support services to judges. The Unit also provides administrative support to the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board. In addition to having a wide number of functions, the Unit acts as a point of contact or a first port of call for many of the queries or work related difficulties a judge may have.
What do we do?
The Judicial Support Unit supports the following:
- Committee for Judicial Studies - Currently in transition to the Judicial Council
- Judicial Appointments Advisory Board
- Judicial travel and accommodation arrangements
- Foreign travel for Judges and staff
- Judicial attire
- Provision of general administrative support for Judiciary
- Validation of Circuit & District Court Judges' travel and subsistence claims
|Head of Unit and Protocol Officer:||Vacancy||
|Judicial Appointments Advisory Board
and all general queries:
|Ms. Audrey Mohan||01-8886826
|Foreign Travel and all general queries:||Ms. Avril Brady||01-8886722
|Home Travel and Subsistence - Validation
and all general queries:
|Judicial Attire and PIA and Circuit arrangements for
Superior Courts and all general queries:
|Ms. Elaine Gorman||01-8886429
|All correspondence should be directed to:||Judicial Support Unit,
15-24 Phoenix Street North,
|Travel & Subsistence:||Travel and Subsistence Validation Unit,
Phoenix House, 15 – 24 Phoenix Street North, Smithfield, Dublin 7.
|Judicial ICT Trainer:||
Mr. Alan Rooney
Details of Judicial Expenses can be found in our Publications.
The Judicial Support Unit deals with:
- Validation of Circuit and District Court Judges travel and subsistence claims
- Judicial Attire
- ID cards for Judges
- Judges’ Information Handbook
- Accommodation and Imprests for Superior Courts Judges on Circuit
- Judicial Visitors
- Foreign Travel
- Protocol matters
- Liaising with the Department of Justice & Equality
JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS ADVISORY BOARD
The Judicial Appointments Advisory Board was established pursuant to the Courts and Court Officers Act, 1995, as amended. The purpose of the Board is to identify persons and inform the Government of the suitability of those persons for appointment to judicial office.
The Board consists of:
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Donal O'Donnell, Chief Justice (Chairperson)
- The Hon. Mr. Justice George Birmingham, President of the Court of Appeal
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Mary Irvine, President of the High Court
- The Hon. Ms. Justice Patricia Ryan, President of the Circuit Court
- His Honour Judge Paul Kelly, President of the District Court
- Mr. Paul Gallagher SC, Attorney General
- Ms. Maura McNally SC, Chair of the Council of the Bar of Ireland
- Mr. John Shaw, Nominee of the Law Society
- Ms. Karen Dent
- Dr. Eleanor O'Higgins
Ms. Audrey Mohan is acting Secretary to the Board
|Contact Details:||Judicial Appointments Advisory Board,
15/24 Phoenix Street North,
Smithfield, Dublin 7.
|Tel: +353 1 888 6826 / 6228
Fax: +353 1 873 5242