English VersionIrish Version
Search for Click to Search
Advanced Search
Printable Version
All SectionsPractice DirectionsCourt Rules Terms & Sittings
Legal Diary Offices & Maps Judgments & Determinations

Guidelines for ... entering a High Court appearance

An appearance is a form (called Memorandum of Appearance in General) that is filed in the Central Office of the High Court.

Why enter an appearance?

'Enter an appearance' is a term which simply means you intend to defend the case. When a person has been served with a summons, the first step to defending the summons is to enter an appearance. It is up to the individual to decide whether they want to defend the case.

1. Appearances are filed by post or in person at the Central Office of the High Court, Four Courts, Inns Quay, Dublin 7.

2, Documents filed should be on A4 size paper.

3. To file the appearance you should check the following;

  • The correct court fee is attached - see Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court Fees Order Schedule 1 Part 4 B
  • The appearance is in the correct format - as set out in the link above
  • You have three copies of your appearance - two of which will be returned to you
  • You have included a self stamped addressed envelope if you are filing by post
  • The record number is included on the top right corner of the document - for example, 2014/0000 P or 2013/0000 S


4. The appearance document must be served on the solicitor for the plaintiff or on the plaintiff him/herself if the plaintiff issued the summons personally. You can serve the appearance by post on the solicitor or plaintiff in person who issued the summons.

5. If you are served with a plenary summons your appearance should request that a 'statement of claim' be sent to you. See sample memorandum of appearance in general.

6. There are rules which set what you can and cannot do in relation to an appearance - see order 12 Rules of the Superior Courts.


Note: This is not a legal document and it does not purport to give legal advice. If you need legal advice you should consult a solicitor.





This page updated: 29 November 2016