English VersionIrish Version
Search for Click to Search
Advanced Search
Printable Version
All SectionsPractice DirectionsCourt Rules Terms & Sittings
Legal Diary Offices & Maps Judgments & Determinations

Making a claim

You may make a claim manually or by using the Courts Service Online site.

To make a claim manually:

Contact the District Court Office in the area where:

  • the respondent lives or carries on business,
  • the contract was made,
  • in the case of damage to property, where the damage took place.

The Small Claims Registrar will provide you with the application form or you can download the Small Claims Application form here.

The fee for making a small claim is €25.

The completed application form together with the fee of €25 should be lodged with the Small Claims Registrar.
Note: cheques are accepted with a guarantee card. Other methods of payment are possible such as postal order, bank draft or solicitor's letter.

Make cheques, postal orders, bank drafts payable to 'The Courts Service'.

A copy of the completed application form will be sent by the registrar to the person/party against whom you are making a claim, called the respondent.

The original application form will be kept in the registrar's office.

To make a claim online:

Using the Courts Service Online site you will be able to;

» create a small claim application online

» pay the appropriate small claim application fee

» check the status of your online small claim

To use this system;

» you will have to sign in or set up an account

» you will need an email address to which you have access

» you will need a credit/debit card

If your claim is disputed

If the Small Claims Registrar receives a notice from the respondent disputing your claim or making a counterclaim against you, the registrar will contact you and let you have a copy of the respondent's answer.

The registrar may interview and negotiate with both parties to try to reach an agreement.

In the event of failure to resolve your claim the small claims registrar will bring the case to the District Court.

If your claim is not disputed

If the respondent admits your claim he/she is required to notify the registrar's office by returning a Notice of Acceptance of Liability form. If the respondent does not reply, the claim will be automatically treated as undisputed.

The District Court will then make an order in your favour (without you having to attend court) for the amount claimed, and direct that it be paid within a short specific period of time.

A counterclaim

A counterclaim is a claim made against you by the respondent.