District Court Rules Committee
Freedom of Information Act 2014 Publication Scheme
Establishment of Committee
The District Court Rules Committee was established under section 71 of the Courts of Justice Act, 1936.
Functions of the Committee
The District Court Rules Committee under section 72 of that Act was assigned the power (previously exercised by the Minister for Justice under section 90 of The Courts of Justice Act, 1924), exercisable with the concurrence of the Minister for Justice and Equality. In particular rules may be made for all or any of the following matters, viz., the forms of process, summons, case stated, appeal or otherwise, and the conditions which a party who requires a case stated or an appellant must comply with in civil cases or in criminal cases or in licensing cases as the case may be and the practice and procedure of the District Court generally, including questions of costs and the times for taking any step in the District Court, the entering-up of judgement and granting of summary judgement in appropriate cases, the use of the national language therein, the fixing and collection of fees and the adaptation or modification of any statute that may be necessary for any of the purposes aforesaid and all subsidiary matters. Excluded from this authority is the making of rules for the hearing by the Circuit Court of appeals from the District Court and the hearing by the High Court of cases stated by the District Court.
Membership of the Committee at 1st August 2017
- The President of the District Court, Her Honour Judge Rosemary Horgan (Chairperson)
- Judge Mary Devins, Judge of the District Court
- Judge Brian Sheridan, Judge of the District Court
- Judge Conal Gibbons, Judge of the District Court
- Judge Anne Watkin, Judge of the District Court
- Mr. Shane McCarthy, Solicitor, nominated by the Law Society of Ireland
- Mr. Riobard Peirse, Solicitor, nominated by the Law Society of Ireland
- Mr. Dean Kelly B.L., nominated by the Council of the Bar of Ireland
- Mr. Roy Pearson, Chief State Solicitor’s Office, appointed to act in place of the Attorney General under section 36(4) of the Courts and Court Officers Act, 2002 1
- Mr. Noel A. Doherty, Directorate of Reform and Development, Courts Service, to whom membership has been delegated by the Chief Executive Officer under Section 30(2) of the Courts Service Act, 1998 2
- Ms. Michelle Johnston, Deputy Chief Clerk, Dublin Metropolitan District Court
Administrative and other support
The Secretary to the Committee is Ms Liz Hughes. Drafting Services are provided by Mr Sean Barton of McCann FitzGerald Solicitors.
Classes of records
» Materials concerning proposals for amendments to rules of court.
The Annual Report of the Committee is contained in the Annual Report of the Courts Service.
Organisation and pay and grading structures
The Committee does not employ any staff. Administrative support is provided by the Rules Committee Support Unit, within the Directorate of Reform and Development of the Courts Service.
Location and contact details
District Court Rules Committee,
Rules Committee Support Unit,
Directorate of Reform and Development,
Green Street Courthouse,
Ph: 01 888 6762
1 This provision has since been repealed and replaced by section 71(9)(c), Courts of Justice Act 1936 (inserted by section 21, Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2008).
2 This provision has since been repealed and replaced by section 71(9)(b), Courts of Justice Act 1936 (inserted by section 21, Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2008).
This page updated: 16 August 2017